Saturday, May 22, 2010

I'm Back/Whole Wheat Gnocchi with Mushroom Sauce

Ok, so it's been a couple weeks since I posted. Had a nice relaxing week after the Flying Pig. Spent the following week out in Washington and Oregon. Didn't get as much running in out there as I had hoped to do, but had a great time. Spent a day in Seattle, went to Astoria Oregon (Goonies) and Long Beach Peninsula. My dad and I also did a couple day hikes one to Ape cave which was formed by St Helen's lava flows and we did a 12 miler to Tunnel Falls.




Pike Place Market



Tunnel Falls

I was planing on doing my first ultra on November 6th. It's a 30 mile road race and I turn 30 the following day. The more I've thought about it though I would prefer my first ultra to be a trail race so I'm doing a 50k on October 24. Can't wait to see how my body responds to the training for this. I will also be doing my annual State to State Half in September and a few 5 and 10k's along the way. Guess I had better start hitting the pavement on a regular basis again here soon.

Ok, now it's time for the good stuff.....Food

INGREDIENTS:

16oz Whole wheat Gnocchi

2Tbs butter

2Tbs Extra Virgin olive oil

12oz fresh mushrooms, stemmed, sliced (Porcini, Portobello, and,or Shitake)

1/2 cup diced shallots

1 3/4 cups chicken stock

1Tbs chopped fresh sage

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Bring water to a boil in a 4qrt pot add gnocchi and cook for 3-4 minutes or until gnocchi float to the top. Drain in colander. Cook butter and olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat until butter begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and shallots and saute until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add stock and sage; simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add hot gnocchi to sauce in skillet and toss to coat. Serve with cheese sprinkled on top

No comments:

Post a Comment